‘Be aggressive, don’t show your weakness, and make sure you get everything you want and then some!’ Does this sound like the type of advice you might have been given once upon a time when it came to negotiations? Put simply, people have changed and business has changed. Negotiations are more likely to be successful when the ‘win–win’ is more important than the ‘win–lose’.
What leaders will explore
- Short-term gratification or long-term gain?
- ‘Win–win’ and mutual beneficial outcomes
- Understanding exactly who you’re talking to
- Preparing for the negotiation
- Voice, body language and proximity
What leaders will apply
- Negotiation skills that favour long-term gain
- Skills to flex (without being pushed around)
- An empathy framework for perspective-taking
- Preparation and ‘energy-setting’ strategies
- An awareness of appropriate demeanour
Thinka provided us with valuable insights and content that really hit the mark with our leadership group. The turnaround time between initial discussions, to bringing the session to life was exceptional and the outcome was great!